If you only have time for one coffee tour of DC, look no further than the U Street Corridor and Logan Circle, where you’ll find incredible specialty coffee options all within reasonable walking distance. This list of coffee shops all dot 14th Street NW (south of U Street up until Thomas Circle, NW), and most of them offer absolutely delicious pastries and breakfast, to boot. It’s magic.
Coffee & Reading the morning paper
- Today is my sister’s birthday and she reads every Friday!! 🙂 Happy birthday!
- [Summer Article] What’s the Difference Between Iced Coffee & Cold-Brew? Lots of insights here. And we love the idea of Japanese style pour-over!
- “Popularized in Japan, this style of preparing iced coffee is something you’re more likely to find at a specialty coffee shop. To make it, ice cubes are placed at the bottom of a pour-over device (like a Chemex) so that when the warm water is poured over the grounds at the top, the brewed coffee drips directly and immediately onto the ice. This method is particularly good for preserving the delicate, nuanced flavors of specialty coffee beans.”
- [Chocolate News] For the first time ever, an Indian chocolate brand wins silver at the International Chocolate Awards. Yay!
- [Travel Wish List]
- Harrods just opened a chocolate “dream destination” in London! Beautiful.
- Tony’s Chocolonely opens a shop in the Amsterdam airport. Finger’s crossed Amsterdam is our next destination or layover. Click for pictures.
- A new chocolate exhibit in Strasbourg, France about the Schall Factory (video below)!
- Curious about what it would mean to travel to France right now? This blog post by a French local helps explain how to visit during COVID-19 times (what you need to bring/do/expect).
Coffee & Reading the morning paper
- [DC Coffee News] Inside El Secreto de Rosita, a New Peruvian Bar on U Street With an Edgy Rainforest Vibe – NEW. “An attached cafe next-door is open 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. daily with to-go Italian coffee drinks, empanadas, muffins, and French pastries from Fresh Baguette.” We can’t wait to try their coffee!
- [DC Coffee News] Compass Coffee has a NEW blended drink! “You asked for a delicious blended drink, so we delivered! And it’s available in all your favorite flavors: Vanilla, Caramel, Coconut, Chocolate. Each one is crafted with real ingredients that are made in-house like our fresh cold brew, all of our house flavors, and homemade whipped cream. Head to your local Compass Coffee to enjoy them all summer!”
- [DC Chocolate News] The Chocolate House DC in Dupont Circle is “selling a limited number of 5pc Cicada gift boxes! Don’t worry these are just a classic salted caramel filling in a chocolate shell. If you are looking for REAL cicada chocolate, check out our friends at Chouquette Chocolate.” Fun!
- 9 Can’t-Miss Chocolate Shops In The UK – “Melt has just launched a luxury chocolate box inspired by Alice in Wonderland. The quirky Eat Me box features 18 fresh chocolates, including delights such as smoked caramel, popping praline, and rhubarb and ginger. Going down the rabbit hole was never so delicious!” Which one have you visited?
- Jordan Delights’ chocolate dates create a bridge to Middle Eastern culture & cuisine – “Khreis’s delectable products are made with organic dates grown in the Coachella Valley, dipped in 72% dark chocolate or white chocolate, then topped with a variety of nuts and spices including roasted almonds, pistachios, cardamom and coconut. The non-GMO and gluten-free Delights are made with fair-trade chocolate and can even be considered a “healthy dessert” option, thanks to antioxidant-packed dates.” Have you ever tried chocolate-covered dates? This makes us super nostalgic for our travels in the Middle East.