Dupont Circle, Washington, DC is near and dear to our hearts. A small district in DC that covers a trapezoid-like area just north of downtown, Dupont has a lot of charm. From the white water fountain in the circle, to independent bookstores, a modern art museum, and the Sunday farmer’s market that’s one of the best in the city, Dupont Circle is a perfect place to find some specialty coffee shops that dot the bustling streets when you’re touring the District!
Valentine’s Day is this weekend! Do you have your gifts yet? Here are our 3 picks Across the city (+Online for shipping or pickup) where you can buy a great chocolate bar or box for your Valentine — just in time for the holiday of love.
Coffee & Reading the morning paper
- News: Govida is sadly closing all 128 of its stores in North America at the end of March 🙁 Read why, here.
- Local: Have you heard about DC’s Ratzilla? Seen it? Did you hear that DC may get mopeds? Ciao!
- Trending: Ben & Jerry’s has new flavors (7) topped with chocolate ganache: Whiskey Biz, Chocolate Caramel Cookie Dough, PB Over the Top, Salted Caramel Brownie, Strawberry Topped Tart, Thick Mint and Tiramisu! Yum. Which one will you try?
- Valentine’s Gifts: Discover Bar & Cocoa’s top picks for Valentine’s Day gifts, here.
- How-To: Tips from a florist. Increase your sales for Valentine’s Day in 2021!
- Listening: This podcast episode with Carla Martin on fine cacao and chocolate, what ‘soil’ means, ethical research, and more.
- Reading: Why you’re more creative in coffee shops. One of the reasons is a moderate level of ambient noise.
- Reading: Speaking of moderate ambient noise, how does noise affect how people taste bitterness, acidity, sweetness and coffee aroma + how much we’re willing to pay for coffee? A new study explains how. You can read the full paper, here.
Coffee & Reading the morning paper
- Cooking: Pioneer Woman’s Chocolate Chip Mini Scones 🙂 #trending
- Valentine’s Gifts: Discover Bar & Cocoa’s top picks for Valentine’s Day gifts, here. +Be sure to read on in this ESPUMA for a special Vosges Chocolate coupon code.
- Listening: Did you see our new article? We selected the 6 Best Coffee &/or Chocolate Podcasts on Spotify. Good for some weekend listening, perhaps?
- News: Godiva has some new chocolate boxes, too!
A few years ago, a controversial article came out in The Washington Post, stating that Washington, DC was much like Paris, France. Blasphemy! How could stoic, stone, serious Washington, DC be compared to the city of lights, the city of romance, the city of food, passion, beauty and history? Cue accordion music. No!
But the longer that we’ve lived here, the more that we experience moments of Parisian-like wonderment in the District. When we heard about the new Netflix sensation, “Emily in Paris,” we simply had to watch it. And okay, the show isn’t perfect. It’s borderline, if not fully offensive at times. Whether you love it or hate it, Emily in Paris is #1 on Netflix, and, for simply transporting us to the French capital during quarantine — for some beautiful fashion and a few superficial laughs, the show is truly great. Alas, none of us can travel to Paris right now. Hence, here are our 10 ways (one per episode of season 1) to live out “Emily in Paris” in Washington, DC!
Please do not read beyond this point if you haven’t yet watched the show and want to keep the locations a surprise. We truly don’t want to give away spoilers and we take no responsibility if you keep reading 😉